- You’re in a restaurant with an Iranian customer. Your
customer has ordered chicken but they have been brought pork. Speak to the
waiter and rectify the situation without embarrassing your customer.
- You’re in a rush at a train station in Karachi, and have
several heavy cases with you. A porter offers to carry your suitcases and
then asks for twice the amount of money you’d expected to pay. Reach a
speedy conclusion, without being taken for a ride.
- You buy a new printer. You get it home and it doesn’t
work. Upon returning to the store, the store assistant insists you set it
up wrongly. Get your money back.
- You are out for dinner with a new Chinese supplier.
You’d invited them out, but at the end of the meal you discover you’ve forgotten
your wallet. You know it is in your
briefcase at the office. Get yourself out of this tricky situation by
speaking to the manager. Don’t lose face.
- You are currently “it” on the On-Call roster. You’ve bought a ticket (they only had
economy left) to Helsinki
but have been told you’ve been bumped to the next flight (which leaves in
16 hours). You are a long-standing customer of this airline. Get yourself
on this flight!
[Note: This is a sample, and so all 12 questions are not
shown. All exercises purchased on English Toolbox have a minimum of